A soapbox about Phoenix community, but first, a video about ants.
Last night I was talking to my father about the Climategate, Cap and Trade and other world issues all of which are way way bigger than either of us, and all I had was one question, how can I help? Then dad mentioned a lesson he had shown me many years ago, “Remember the ants we used to watch when you were a kid? We need to be more like them, instead of fighting and trying to move in all different directions, we should group together and work to solve the problem.” If ants can do it, why can’t we?
Lately I’ve been hearing the rumblings of a revolution, and I love it. I hear empowered passionate voices of community members looking for value, acceptance and critique, and I embrace it. And I ask of you, get behind it, because it’s YOUR community we’re creating, you simply have to be a part of the creation. We don’t all have to “start” something to be a part, but show your support for ideas, movements, businesses and groups that share your vision in for the Phoenix community and the world. Here are some examples:
- Eat local, try Liberty Market or La Grande Orange
- Pitch in and volunteer your time/services, if you hear of someone working on something you want to be a part of or have ideas for don’t be afraid to commit to helping that group
- Donate to local start-up sanctuaries trying to make a difference like the Toys for Tots drive at Gangplank or donating items and services to Fractal/Dojo Collective
- Ask for help, are you working on an idea or have a movement you would like support with? Don’t be afraid to ask for help, there are so many people in our community that want to make a difference you just have to connect with the right ones
- Buy your books locally (and perhaps even used), try Changing Hands Bookstore or Bookmans next time
- Thank them, if nothing else, find something you support, go up to that person/organization/business and thank them for what they do for your community and your way of life
- Share your ideas and your actions on how you support your community here and elsewhere
With all that I’ve said here, I want to thank all of you, you make up such a wonderfully rich diversity of community for me. I will continue to support the Phoenix community and I hope you’ll join me. I’m not asking you to change the way you live or how you live it, but to be thankful and support those who provide you with the that way and those means. Appreciate what you do have and support the change you want to see where ever you are.
With All My Love,
7 Comments to “Rise Up Phoenix”
Leave a comment
What is this?
What People Are Saying…
Pick a category...
accessibility advertising & marketing art forms ASP .Net book reviews design flash general observation life news links of the week new idea! new technologies project management self-reflection seo social media speaker reviews technology reviews things to do user experience viral marketing wordpress XHTML/CSS